The origin of Baengnyeon association movement
Baengnyeonsa Temple was originally called 'Mandeoksa Temple' after the name of the mountain, but it is called 'Baengnyeonsa Temple' today. It is known to be constructed in late Silla Dynasty, and rebuilt in 1211 by Wonmyoguksa Yose. In particular, Yose built the Bohyeondoryang in 1232 during the Buddhism movement of people in opposition to the aristocratic Buddhism, and announced the Baengnyeon statement in 1236 to advocate the 'Baengnyeon association movement'. This was when Baengnyeonsa Temple became famous nationwide. In late Joseon Dynasty, the temple created eight great masters and became a leading Buddhist temple in Korea.
- Address : 145 Baengnyeonsa-gil, Doam-myeon, Gangjin-gun, Jeollanam-do
- Inquiries : 061-432-0837
- Website : http://www.baekryunsa.net
- Opening Hours : 9am - 6pm
- Closed : Open throughout year
Camellia Trees (Natural Monument No. 151)
There is a forest of around 7,000 trees that are mainly camellia trees in a 5.2ha land near the Baengnyeonsa Temple. The scenery of fallen petals of camellia flowers in March and April presents a grand spectacle.