Gangjin is a region that Do-gang in Domu-Gun county and Tam-jin in Dong-eum Hyun county of Baekjae period are annexed. The combined name of Gang-jin's 'Gang' came from Do-gang, and 'Jin' came from Tam-jin.
|Unified Silla Period||Yangmu Gungyung Dukwang|
|Joseon Period||Byungyoung establishment (King Taejong year 17) Gangjin-hyunn|
|1895||Gangjin-Gun (Reformation of local system)|
|1936.7.1||Gangjin-myeon elevated to 'eup'|
|1983.2.15||Sinjun Branch elevated to 'myeon'|
|1989.4.1||Sinjun Branch elevated to 'myeon'|
|1990.8.1||Doam-myeon was incorporated into Haenam-gun Okchun-myeon Bonghwang-ri|
Gangjin is a region that Do-gang in Domu-Gun county and Tam-jin in Dong-eum Hyun county of Baekjae period are annexed. The combined name of Gang-jin's 'Gang' came from Do-gang, and 'Jin' came from Tam-jin. Dogang-gun was renamed Domu-gun in Baekjae period. During United Silla period, it was renamed again as Yangmu-gun and Dongeum-myeon was retitled Tamjin-hyun. During Goryeo period, it was renamed Dogang-gun and Tamjin-hyun provinces was under the jurisdiction of Yongam-gun and Jangheung-gun. In King Myeongjong year 2 (A.D. 1172). administrative office was built in Gangjin-gun and take a key part in administration and millitary affirs. During Joseon period, in King Taejong year 17(A.D. 1417), Donggang-hyun and Tamjin-hyun was united as Gamgjin-hyun (the region where now is called Byeongyoung-myeon) and estabilished Byeongyoung Jeoljaesa. It was relocated once, but came back to the original place in King Seongjong year 6(A.D. 1475) in Joseon.
503 years after Joseon was first founded (A.D. 1895), Gangjin-hyun was renamed Gangjin-gun according to the local system reformation. In 1914, 10 subregions of Backdo-myeon(where now is located in part of Sinjun-myeon and Hanam-gun Bukil-myeon) such as Wolsung, Hangri, Mansu, Jwaill, Geumdang, Naebong, Dongri, Jungsan, Bangchek, and Namchon's jurisdictions were transferred to Haenam-gun Bukpyeong-myeon and also those of Gauh island, where originally Wando Island was under control.
On July first of A.D.1936, Gangjin-myeon was elevated to Gangjin-eup. On July first A.D. 1937, Sinjeon local office was established in southern region of Doam-myeon, dividing into 7 different regions. During this time, Youngpa-ri of Doam-myeon was transferred to Gangjin-eup. When Sinjeon local office was elevated to Gun local office on October 26th, 1974, the region was also elevated to myeon on February 15th, 1983. Maryang local office was established as well on September 25th, 1981 and Haenam-gun Okchun-myeon Bonahwang-ri was transferred to Doam-myeon on August 1st, 1990. So now. Under the jurisdiction of Gangjin-gun, there are 1 eup, 10 myeon, 112 legal-ri, 287 administrative-ri, 292 rural villages, and approximately 50,000 population are living happily together.