A sacred land of 500-year patriotic spirit
Built in year 17 of King Taejong (1417) of Joseon, Jeolla Naval Fortress has served as the highest commanding unit of the army that overlooked 53 states and 6 camps including Jeollanam-do and Jejudo for around 500 years until the Political Reform (Gabogyeongjang) in year 32 of King Gojong (1895). However, it was lost in fire in 1894 during the Gabo peasant movement (Donghak), and closed by the new policy introduced by the Political Reform (Gabogyeongjang) in 1895. The fortress stretches a distance of 1,060m with height of 3.5m and area of 93.139㎡ (28.175 pyeong). It has been designated as Historic Site No. 397.
- South Gate
- North Gate
- East Gate
- West Gate
- Entrance of South Gate
Although the buildings and remains inside the fortress are lost, the fortress is intact. In particular, the fortress has been the place of exile and labor of Hamel for seven years who first introduced Korea in western countries. Therefore, it also serves as a Hamel related historic and cultural site in addition to the Jeolla Military Fortress Hamel Memorial Museum.
For three days in April each year, the Jeolla Naval Fortress Festival is held. Diverse programs including the parade, performances and military cultural festival, and exciting programs such as wooden shoes and martial arts classes are offered.
Jeolla Naval Fortress Site
- Address : 175 Byeongyeongseong-ro, Byeongyeong-myeon, Gangjin-gun, Jeollanam-do
- Inquiries : 061-430-3312
- Closed : Open throughout year